April 13, 2011

Marcel Duchamp is my homeboy.





I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste.
Marcel Duchamp





I came to know this man as a respectable fellow oddball who simply made sense to me.
I am delighted that he is considered neccisary curriculum for Cultural Studies


And I strongly identify with his brainwork.
Friend of zee


Dadaist
Impressionist
Father of Conceptual Art
Ready-mades

Chess master
Pun player
Punny examples:
His cross-dressing pseudonom:

Rrose Sélavy ("Eros, c'est la vie,")

LHOOQ "Elle a chaud au cul", which translates to "She has a hot ass"



And he just made my brain think.

They say this is the singularly most influencial work of modern art:


My idea was to chose an object that wouldn't attract me, either by its beauty or by its ugliness. To find a point of indifference in my looking at it, you see"
— Marcel Duchamp


""I don't believe in art. I believe in artists."
— Marcel Duchamp

"I like living, breathing better than working...my art is that of living. Each second, each breath is a work which is inscribed nowhere, which is neither visual nor cerebral, it's a sort of constant euphoria."
— Marcel Duchamp








By 1918, the lovely man became a famous chess player.



"I am still a victim of chess. It has all the beauty of art - and much more. It cannot be commercialized. Chess is much purer than art in its social position. (On giving up art to play chess)"
— Marcel Duchamp






"Art is not about itself but the attention we bring to it."
— Marcel Duchamp




Art is either plagiarism or revolution.
— Marcel Duchamp
 http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_l863bzvqi91qd6lhdo1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1302813123&Signature=PeB2qXZeFjWd9U1436u1L4krarg%3D
Here is a chess computer game designed to play like Marcel Duchamp.  



"To all appearances, the artist acts like a mediumistic being who, from the labyrinth beyond time and space, seeks his way out to a clearing."
— Marcel Duchamp



All you need to know about he and I
Is that he changed the way I think about art
about being a conduit for art
about what art I already made
and he perpetually wanted to change
And I am a fiend for change.

So thanks, Fountain.
You changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment