April 13, 2011

Marcel Duchamp is my homeboy.





I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste.
Marcel Duchamp





I came to know this man as a respectable fellow oddball who simply made sense to me.
I am delighted that he is considered neccisary curriculum for Cultural Studies


And I strongly identify with his brainwork.
Friend of zee


Dadaist
Impressionist
Father of Conceptual Art
Ready-mades

Chess master
Pun player
Punny examples:
His cross-dressing pseudonom:

Rrose Sélavy ("Eros, c'est la vie,")

LHOOQ "Elle a chaud au cul", which translates to "She has a hot ass"



And he just made my brain think.

They say this is the singularly most influencial work of modern art:


My idea was to chose an object that wouldn't attract me, either by its beauty or by its ugliness. To find a point of indifference in my looking at it, you see"
Marcel Duchamp


""I don't believe in art. I believe in artists."
Marcel Duchamp

"I like living, breathing better than working...my art is that of living. Each second, each breath is a work which is inscribed nowhere, which is neither visual nor cerebral, it's a sort of constant euphoria."
Marcel Duchamp








By 1918, the lovely man became a famous chess player.



"I am still a victim of chess. It has all the beauty of art - and much more. It cannot be commercialized. Chess is much purer than art in its social position. (On giving up art to play chess)"
Marcel Duchamp






"Art is not about itself but the attention we bring to it."
Marcel Duchamp




Art is either plagiarism or revolution.
Marcel Duchamp
 http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_l863bzvqi91qd6lhdo1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1302813123&Signature=PeB2qXZeFjWd9U1436u1L4krarg%3D
Here is a chess computer game designed to play like Marcel Duchamp.  



"To all appearances, the artist acts like a mediumistic being who, from the labyrinth beyond time and space, seeks his way out to a clearing."
Marcel Duchamp



All you need to know about he and I
Is that he changed the way I think about art
about being a conduit for art
about what art I already made
and he perpetually wanted to change
And I am a fiend for change.

So thanks, Fountain.
You changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment